Thursday, June 11, 2009

All Hail The Queen!

Queen Latifah is the cover girl for the July issue of Essence magazine. In the feature article, Latifah reveals that she was sexually abused as a child. She also addresses rumors of her sexuality and her wish to be a mother.

I like the colors, but something's off about this cover. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I'm not really feeling it.

Now, I LOVE Queen La, but Essence has a bad habit of recycling their cover models. It's either La, Mo'Nique, Halle, Mary J. Blige, Jada Pinkett-Smith, Alicia Keys,....you get my drift. (And don't even get me started on their articles. That's a whole 'nother topic.) There are plenty of Black women that they could put on their covers. How about Whoopi Goldberg? I'd love to see how they would style her. Or how about using real fashion models for a change like Alek Wek or Jourdan Dunn?

If they insist on using the same sistas, switch it up! Take some chances with the cover styling. Do something avant-garde with Halle, a flashback to the Harlem Renassaince a la James Van Der Zee with Mo'Nique, or a different backdrop from the usual solid color. The same ol', same ol' is not cutting it, IMO.

What say you, dear readers? Is it time for an Essence overhaul?

No comments: